Wednesday, December 26, 2012

MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Though I have had no sense of HOME this season, as my boys are my home - I have received many blessings and have much to be grateful for:  Snowy photo's from Northern, MI (I LOVE and miss the snowy Winter that Petoskey offers); news from home that my parents (79/80 years old) have at last sold their home and finally preparing for their Retirement Home, most likely in Holland, MI; phone calls with Casey; personal emails from close friends; news that Colin got a job @ Meijer and loves it;  news that my '99 Jeep Cherokee finally was sold 'as is'...and the motor seized only a few days later; the impromtu word of affirmation that I am "home" to someone here; meeting new friends recently PCS'd here and the ability to loan them the extra car until theirs arrived on the ship; spontaneous dinners and scrapbooking time with Carla.
The Kitsteiner family of 5 left on December 9th, through the 29th to spend Christmas in South Florida and Minnesota with their families of origin and close friends.  As well, Wendi underwent the impending IVF transfer @ Mayo and will be drug-induced hormone free by the time of their return...and thus we can all hop off that roller-coaster ride, especially her!
I have enjoyed a long break from the huge transition from a quiet life in a resort town in Northern, MI with my 18 year old son and 7 year old Lab to living in another country with this family w/3 children under the age of 5 and a 5 year old Dalmation with energy to burn.  Honestly, I haven't really noticed they were gone, busy with organizing work and pet-sitting.  This is the 1st week I have had some extra time to myself.  Scrubby, however, has gone from waking me 7-7:30A every day, which I wasn't real fond of, to 6-6:30A each morning, since his buddy coming to play daily ended on the 23rd.  The honeymoon is over pup - you are back to sleeping downstairs with a gate blocking your passage and I will decide when we get up :).  
Christmas Eve & Christmas Day weather-wise were so beautiful.  After a whole lot of rain and 30-55 mph windy days, it was such a gift.  Lots of walks to and along the ocean, climbing the rocks closer to the ocean and oh, the sound I love so much when the big waves smash into those rocks.  Additionally there are a lot of caves on the Island, but they are closed during the Winter months.  Except for one, the Christmas Cave (only open on Christmas Day), where they hold a Portuguese Christmas Mass.  I rallied Carla and the Helfrich family with, "When will you otherwise or ever again be able to experince a Christmas service in a cave?"  We didn't stay for the entirety, as it loses something when you don't understand the language and cave precipitation drips on heads, no matter where you stand.  It was a good drive and such a great day, we culminated our trip with a stop along the ocean, so drawn to how beautiful it was.
This is in the town of Biscoit and the pictures do not do its magnificence any justice at all.  When those waves smash into those rocks - the sight and sound cannot be matched.

I am grateful today, the day after Christmas for Hita spending the day cleaning here.  She is such  a bright spot in my week.  I filled up air on the family van tires, cleaned the yard of dog poop, took away all of the garbage & recycles and grabbed myself a Venti Skim Latte.  I have the day to myself and
writing assignments to accomplish.  Maybe a catnap could be in order.  Tomorrow I begin a 6 day pet sitting stint for 2 Dachshunds on base.
Once Hita leaves today, it will be my job to keep the house clean and ready for the family's return the evening of the 29th.  I think Scrubby may do some cartwheels, especially for the 3 he can reach most easily.
Happy New Year to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment