Sunday, June 2, 2013

Commission: Lightness & Peace (NakedCarlyArt-Carly Swenson)

I am sharing the blog post put up by our renowned artist that we have had the privilege of monopolizing on this island.  She enlisted my organizing expertise for her studio and after working together, I asked if she would trade a personal artwork piece.  And this is what she wrote, along w/posting photo's of her work in progress:
This client had an opportunity most people don’t.  Since she helped me to organize my art studio over the course of 5 hours, she was able to find and set aside bits of text, images, and ephemera that she wanted included in her custom work of art.  She is a fascinating woman with a delightful sense of humor, and while I felt I knew enough about her to create the piece (especially with her helping to pick out the visual elements), I still felt a little nervous about the work.  I am pleased with how the piece developed and the manner in which all the all her chosen elements were included into the canvas collage.  I suppose the work, much like my client herself, is a bit enigmatic, some concepts seem obvious yet hold underlying tones of contradiction to those preconceived expectations.  Other aesthetics are far more subtle, however, they still have looming significance.
To be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure if my client was going to be pleased with this work or not.  I do understand that I can’t please everyone, and my confidence in the reaction from the intended recipient of the work does vary from one piece to another.  However, I was delighted when she was more than
content with her finished work.
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment