Thursday, October 11, 2012

Exercise Walk turned near catastrophic

I'm into my 3rd week on Terceira Island and adjusting to life here - as in, "okay, I'm not on vacation.  I actually live here and they've made me part of their family, truly, authentically."  The other night I was up very late, doing some research for my writing.  It was a cool night, but warm enough that I went out on the 3rd floor balcony in my tee shirt and pj shorts to look @ the stars and listen to the ocean.  For a few moments it sunk in that I was living here and how much my niece and her family have made me a part of them and I felt truly happy and hopeful.  Feelings that have eluded me for some time now - at least for myself.  My boys always provided those things, but I have not experienced them on more than a surface level for just me, in a very long time.  I dare say I won't forget those moments gleaned in the middle of the night so far away from everything I've known.
During our check-in over the weekend, Wendi and I decided that I need @ least one full day off each week.  And I need to get to a place where I can take off in the car and go somewhere by myself or with the dog...soon.  I affectionately refer to the house and yard as the compound and in the last 2 weeks haven't left the compound more than once a week - and that's not enough.  I've only gone to base or taken a couple excursions with the family and I look forward to discovering more of the island on my own.  Base is where the Commissary is and the BX (miniscule version of KMart), post office, library, etc.  I haven't met any people my age - but have met Wendi's friends with their little ones more than once.  From what I can tell, the military here consists of young military families - ranging from age 19-35.  The only people I've seen my age are Portuguese and non-military - mostly nanny's and housekeepers.  Identity crisis - hmm, yeah a little bit.  But nothing I haven't already experienced in small town, Petoskey Michigan.
Last weekend, we had to go to Base for something, then stopped in Porta la Victoria and enjoyed a restaurant lunch.
It was a gorgeous day and I took the kids from the restaurant to walk on the boardwalk and down to a sandy swingset and monkey bars, so that Wendy & John could finish their lunch in peace.

I didn't realize it, but yesterday was the 1st day I wore anything other than black or grey since my arrival here.  We'd gone to the Library and while the kids did story hour, I browsed for a good read.  From there we drove out to the industrial district and along the drive, this is what I see:

The kids took long naps and it was a cool sunny day, so I went out to the garden to play with the kids and the dog.  It was a nice afternoon:

Today was laundry, dishes, nap duty, throwing frisbee w/Scrubs in the yard and I was able to get caught up on a little writing.  Feeling a little cabin crazy, I grabbed my walking shoes, the dogs leash and piled the baby and 3 yr. old, Sidge into the stroller for a mile walk along the ocean front.  We found ourselves @ the end of the walk @ this wonderful little corner of the Island.  There was a small family - well, 4 fishermen, a little girl and a very PG lady and 3 dogs.  I let Sidge and Abigail out of stroller to walk along a rocky area with quiet water.  We watched some fishermen scale, gut and clean fresh fish for awhile and then sauntered back to the stroller to make our way back home.  There came upon us a dog that was growly and pacing I felt, a little too aggressively around Scrubs.  Scrubs is great w/all dogs, unless pushed w/an aggressive dog, he will hold his own.  So...I'm trying to keep this aggressive dog @ bay to just get the kids in the stroller w/out a dog fight ensuing, when Abigail decided to take too big of a stair climb down....she fell and actually slid a little...on her face.  Blood, everywhere and I'm comforting her, still trying to keep the dogs from fighting and wipe away the blood to see how bad it really was, when I hear Sidge's high pitched SCREAM!...and I whip around to observe him slowly sliding down the seaweed laden boat ramp toward the ocean.  I have Scrubs on the leash, the aggressive dog trailing him and a bloody faced Abigail on my hip, walking to Sidge thinking, "HOW am I going to get him w/out falling and sliding down the seaweed into the ocean myself.", but saying, "Sidge, do not move. Just do NOT move."  He did such a good job, frozen and his screams stopped.  A Portuguese man had seen the whole thing and said something to me, while making his way to Sidge, gesturing with his hands for me to stay and it's okay that he gets him - he does not proceed until I gesture and say, "Yes! Go get him!"  Oh thank God...he pulled him up gently, did not slip himself, stood them there for a moment to be sure he was fine and slowly brought him toward me, "Obrigada!  Obrigada Senor!"  I used my shirt to clean the blood off Abigail's face thinking to myself, "it's not so bad @ all, but the initial blood all over her face will freak Wendi right out if that's how we return into the yard from our walk."  She asked with a smile on her face, "What happened?"  My answer? "We learned things on our walk is what happened, that's all."  I remembered the scabbed/skinned nose/lip on Abigail when I first arrived here. It happens with little kids.  I remember a skinned face or 2 when mine were little.  I call them learning moments!  And we did learn some things - Sidge will never do that again and when he sees any green on the rocks, those rocks he shan't walk or climb on.  Abigail may be less inclined to run for the stroller next time I say, "Who wants to go for a walk?" and me - I learned...uhm, do not take Abigail out of the stroller to walk around that area and if aggressive dog continues following Scrubby's butt, let Scrubby go and get rid of aggressive dog himself!
2 more sleeps and Joni comes from Ft. Lauderdale Florida for 2 weeks - hey, she's my age - and I know her from visiting my sister years gone by - we'll all have a blast.  It'll be great to have her with us.  As well there are some places that John and Wendi would like to discover on the Island that have been awaiting Joni's arrival.  3 babies, 1 large dog, and 4 adults.  This is what the compound is for!  Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. If they are not dead or paralyzed when I get home, you did a good job -- John Kitsteiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having too much fun:)
    can't wait to meet you!
    mary(grandma k)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saying that you are my age. I love you!!! Can't wait to get there. We WILL have a blast!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete