Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week 2 Overview

I've been here now just shy of the 2 week mark.  Someone asked me today, what is your favorite part?  I was surprised to hear myself say, "Actually, the kids are!"  Who knew?  Certainly not I...or probably my family.  My absolute favorite portion of life was raising my boys.  Especially as I observe Wendi and John's parenting, I certainly was not the greatest @ it.  None of us are.  I have regrets - some are pretty deep and I have to forgive myself for them.  But for the most part my memories of those days bring smiles to my heart of such FUN we had; watching my boys grow and learn and discover.  I believe they were given a great gift of being raised Northern, MI - moving there when they were ages 7 & 4.  Where life consisted of outdoor hikes, biking along the bayfront, digging in the dirt, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, snow skiing/boarding as opposed to navigating the concrete jungle of NW Indiana.  And my life consisted of the same w/them and keeping up the house and the large yard we had.  Fast forward to now where I'm contributing to the lives of 2 boys, ages 3 & 4 w/1yr old Abigail, who live on an Island in Portugal called Terceira and playing on the Pirate ship their paternal grandpa built for the, riding bikes, going on excursions w/their mom's MOPS group (Thurs. mornings), Awana's ( Mon. nights), library story hour on Wed's, learning their ABC's and Bible memory verses as they play @ home.  My contribution here consists of keeping up on laundry and dishes, keeping the house picked up (2 floors w/2 other adults & 3 kids / 3rd floor, just me).  Other than that, from 1-7p M-F, I am an extra set of eyes, ears and hands for said children....and Mr Scrubby, their 4 yr. old Dalmation who definitely needs one-on-one frisbee or rings time each day.
This is Sir Isaac, age 4.  He is quiet and peaceful.  He is very private and expresses his acceptance of me almost secretively when there is lots happening around us - I will secretly hold out my hand and he will secretly place his hand in mine and hold it for several minutes, or I'll feel a little ones hands wrap around the back of my leg - if I look @ him (when nobody's paying attention), we exchange a smile and that's kind of our "language" of affection.  When the rest of the family is going downstairs and I'm up on the 2nd or 3rd floor, he sometimes prefers to stay w/me where he/we quietly play w/toys, but few words.  And he laughs outloud when I sing, "Because, because, because, BECAUSE - because of the wonderful things he does!".  He calls me Aunt Twonnie.
This is Mr. Sidge (real name Elijah, but insists on Sidge (what Isaac called him before he could pronounce Elijah).  He is a very passionate age 3 - goes from 0 to 10 of any given emotion very quickly.  He was immediate and open w/his affectionate hugs and always, "I'm so glad Auntie Connie is w/us (living, going with on an excursion, etc. etc.), b'cuz I love her!"  He reminds me of Tigger in the Winnie The Pooh series - bouncey, happy, always moving fast.
This is little miss Abigail.  She watched me for nearly a week...touched me here and there, smiled or laughed w/me.  By yesterday or the day before, she dove from Wendi's arms to mine!  We have our own "thing" - no matter what's going on, initiated by either one of us, we just stop and point @ each other...and lots of grins ensue.  She is the spittin' image, personality wise of Wendi when she was a toddler - pretty much commands whatever room she walks into.  Her mommie is still that way and it's delightful!  Once you've made it into her club, she is very cuddly and so engaging and funny.  She doesn't have her words yet, other than Mama and Dada - but has sign language of "please" "more" and "all done".  Keep her fed and entertained and everything's right with the world - you don't and everything's wrong.  That's just the way it is!

So today, I'm technically "off".  Because of that, I stayed up until 2A organizing my writing and slept until 11:15A!  John is home sick and Wendi is gone to a bday party w/all 3 kids.  I've picked up the house, gotten on top of dishes and running a 2nd load of laundry.  I love that all laundry gets hung out on clothes lines here.  Everyone has them.  There is a dryer, but why use it when it's not raining.  Things should dry quickly today as the winds from Hurricane Nadine making a whispering pass again 2 nights ago, are still with us.  But the sun is out and the temperature is very mild.  I've rarely worn anything but flip-flops or sandals on my feet since my arrival.  uh-oh, I hear little voices coming 'round the corner.  Gotta run.


No comments:

Post a Comment